DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR FOREIGN STUDENTS IN RUSSIA
While planning your trip to Russia, please check the information on what documents you need for staying in Russia.
To stay in Moscow, you must have following documents:
Please note that your passport should be valid within the whole period of your staying in Russia.
- Visa (except citizens of countries with which Russia has an agreement on visa-free travel)
- Migration Card (“migratsionnaya karta”). It is given to you at the entrance to the territory of the Russian Federation. You need to have your passport and Part B of the migration card with you anywhere you go.
Part A of the migration card should be given to the passport control officer on the state border upon the entrance to the territory of the Russian Federation.
Part B of the migration card should be maintained for the whole duration of stay in the territory of the Russian Federation, and should be given to the passport control officer on the state border upon the exit from the territory of Russia.
- Registration coupon officially called ‘Notification of the foreign citizen’s arrival at the place of residence (the detachable part)’ (in Russian it is called “migratsionniy uchyot” or “uvedomlenie”). Every citizen who enters the territory of the Russian Federation for more than 7 days, must stand on migration registration at the place of residence.
The host party (in our case – the Institute) should notify the migrational authority of the Russian Federation on the arrival of a foreign citizen. The foreign citizens take the detachable part of the Notification (see photo) and should have it with them (such as passport and part B of the migration card) anywhere they go. The fact that the foreign citizen has the detachable part of the Notification with the mark of reception, confirms his/her migration registration, and thus it complies with immigration legislation of the Russian Federation.
Please note that the violation of Russian immigration laws is a subject to punishment which may vary from fines to deportation from Russia and entrance ban. Please follow all the rules carefully, follow all migration and visa procedures in time and take all these documents with you wherever you are in Russia.
- Student card or guest ID card are issued by the Institute upon the arrival of the citizen to the Institute. It is required for admission to the Institute – in the teaching rooms and dormitory.
- Medical insurance, which covers all the period of your stay in Russia. You may arrange insurance in the institute or in any insurance agency in Moscow.
- All students who arrive in Russia for a period of more than 90 days must receive a certificate of medical examination within that specified period and also undergo a fingerprinting procedure. For all questions related to these procedures, you can contact the International Department